Saturday, May 14, 2005

Selective Standards, Solomon, and SALT II

I wrote yesterday about the Society of American Law Teachers (SALT) and their campaign against military recruitment at law schools. In today's installment, I question the maturity of the methods of these law professors.

I was a part-time recruiter for the Army JAG Corps in 1997 and 1998, while I was stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. My schools were the nearby Washburn Law School and the University of Kansas. I was aware of the tension between the Solomon Amendment, on the one hand, and the pressure groups like SALT, on the other. Washburn allowed the JAG Corps to recruit at the undergradute career services office, but not within the law school. KU allowed us to recruit, but the usual practice of law professors eating lunch with interviewing employers was abandoned. I still got the free box lunch, but only the Assistant Dean would break bread with me. It was more amusing than anything. I did feel bad for the poor guy from a private law firm who happened to be interviewing on the same day as me. He missed out on lunch with some stuffy law professors...er...hm...maybe he lucked out.

Rather than just the quirky behavior of a few Kansans, this is official policy for law schools. Since the law requires law schools that receive federal funding to allow military recruitment, professional associations say that law schools must "ameliorate" the dreaded association with recruiters. In addition to avoiding lunches with recruiters, some suggest limiting the amount of coffee served, or even giving recruiters bad parking spots. A little petty, perhaps?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home