Sunday, May 29, 2005

Spoilers, Sequels, and Sith V -- The Movie Franchise Strikes Back

My friend Derek Jensen has a review of the new Star Wars movie. His review is more positive than mine.

I must say that I have the opposite opinion on the question of Anakin's light saber. When Obi-Wan picked it up at the end, it seemed a little bit too convenient. That is the problem with prequels, generally. Plot developments are meant to conform to subsequent events in the storyline, not to develop characters or entertain the audience.

I would quit harping on all of this stuff if George Lucas would simply admit that Darth Vader being the father of Luke and Leia was not planned when the first movie was being made. Maybe Derek can take a day trip up to Skywalker Ranch and wring a confession out of the reclusive filmmaker.

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek Jensen said...

My wife Dao works for a major software company in the bay Areahas LucasFilms as a client. We have been invited to their next Halloween party. If I run into George I will ask him.

I am sure Darth as Luke's father was planned as early as the first movie. Leia as Luke's twin I think may have been cooked up. between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

Here is the evidence I give for it having been planned:

1. AUNT BERU: "Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him."

OWEN: "That's what I'm afraid of."

2. "Vader" means father in Dutch

May 29, 2005 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home