Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Atwater, Estrada, and Horton

Republican whiz kid Lee Atwater famously telephoned former Gov. Michael Dukakis after Atwater was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It is reported that he called to apologize for the political attacks based on Dukakis signing a prison furlough order for convicted murderer Willie Horton. Horton went on to rape a woman and torture her fiancee.

I believe that the Willie Horton furlough was a legitimate campaign issue. However, the late Lee Atwater would know better whether he owed an apology than I would. It is a good lesson that one should conduct politics in such a way to require no deathbed apologies.

I keep thinking that Senator Chuck Schumer might have to make one of those calls to Miguel Estrada one day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mayor of Tommyville said...

Alright swany, being that Im no lawyer perhaps you can tell me if my legal reasoning in a commentary I just submitted today on Charles Schumer to the strib's op/ed dept. is flawed or not. I posted it on my blog under "Chucky's Cheese" at www.tommunism.blogspot.com

July 28, 2005 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home