Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Laryngitis, Deafness, and Definitions

All this talk over definitions reminded me of a funny story. When I was first stationed in Taszar Hungary, I came down with a virus nicknamed the "Taszar Crud." One of the symptoms was a sore throat that became laryngitis. When I finally went to sick call, the nurse/screener would not write "laryngitis" on my chart because that would be a diagnosis. Only a doctor can give a diagnosis. I toyed with the idea of having her write down "inflammation of the larynx," but I decided against being a smart aleck. We settled on "lost voice" or some such.

The funny part was when I had client meetings that day. I would write out my questions instead of speaking. Sometimes the clients would take the pen and write their responses, thinking that I was deaf. One of the Hungarian translators played along with the joke, telling people that I was the first deaf JAG attorney in the Army.

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek Jensen said...

This is a very funny story. Almost too funny. I saw that sitcom episode as well.

September 28, 2005 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home