Friday, September 16, 2005

Tempest, Teapots, and Misdirection

A blogger is claiming that Katherine Kersten plagiarized the story about Jim Lodoen from my weblog. For the record, I have never met Jim. I never claimed to have interviewed him. I merely posted his e-mails, sent by a mutual friend, on my weblog.

If the newspaper story has similarities to the e-mail, that is because she presumably interviewed the author of the e-mail. I love to take credit for things, but this is not an instance where I can do so. (Darn!)

The attempts to turn a positive story into a scandal is disappointing.

If you prefer feel-good stories about liberals, scroll down to the post about my friend and former roommate Dan Corcoran. He is a self-employed Seattle architect who is going to the Gulf Coast as a volunteer to build shelters for emergency workers. And he dislikes Karl Rove like any proper liberal should.

I should get out of the business of feel-good stories and stick to Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. The Pegasus episode will soon be with us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hammer said...

I don't think it's a scandal. Hackery is more appropriate. Don't you find it odd that KK's original reporting so closely matches the information you already published?

September 16, 2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

She interviewed the author of the e-mail. He said in the interview what he said in the e-mail. No surprises here. Oops. You got me. You never said "surprise." That must be a Freudian slip on my part.

BTW, if one follows the link in the post above, you will see the accusation of "plagerism" (sic) to which I was referring.

In the meantime, please scroll down to the next post in this blog and contribute to my Seattle-living-Rove-Hating-Burning-Man-Going liberal friend for his Gulf Coast endeavor.

September 16, 2005 5:24 PM  
Blogger lloydletta said...

Peter - why not post a link to the blog post you are criticizing - then readers can decide for themselves? You mention in the comment something about following the link - well there is no link in the post. I just double checked.

This isn't the first time Katherine Kersten's columns have been eerily similar to already published work. Her article discussing the gay marriage issue was quite similar to Maggie Gallagher's columns on the same topic.

There are conservative columnists around who could write more original stuff.

September 17, 2005 10:12 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

For more info about this non-story, people can click on Hammer's profile in the comment above.

September 17, 2005 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home