Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Mother, Father, and Child

Here is a belated response to Marty Andrade. I am listed as one of his blogchildren. I believe the saying goes that success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan. So this must mean that SwanBlog is a success.

I have credited Powerline as inspiration. I should also list Jonah Goldberg as someone who demonstrated to me that an informal writing style (with lots of tangents and inside jokes) can still be worth reading.

At some point, a person needs to stop e-mailling bloggers and start his/her own blog. Dafydd ab Hugh is the perfect example of this. I have made the same recommendation to a handful of e-mailers, with mixed results. Do they qualify as my "blogchildren"? I don't know.

I take no credit for the "three things" titles of my post. I believe the Holy Trinity had that one first. But it is a distinguishing attribute of my blog. And it gets my creativity flowing.

As far as Marty being my blogdaddy, I will say that he has the best piece of advice for any blogger: post every weekday. I first attempted to do this back in the Spring with my "Every Day in May" campaign. It was an attempt to move from the hitting a home run (link from a prominent Minnesota blog) every month or two, to hitting singles consistently. If there is something worth reading, be it an original insight or a link to somewhere else, people will come back. If you are a MOB member, you will automatically get 10 hits per day. What you do from there is based on the quality of your writing/linking. Marty gets credit for pushing this idea.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek Jensen said...

Swanblog, Scott Johnson's your Daddy.

November 30, 2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

I never claimed to be your blogdaddy (though I'd be honored if I were) the actual quote from the post is:

There are a few that I know I wasn’t responsible for:

...

Peter Swanson. He was bloggin a year before I started, and he lists the Powerline guys as his blogger ‘rent. I think I put pressure on Peter to start posting more regularly, which he has done. He’s an excellent, if not sometimes cyptic, blogger.


As you can see, I did not take credit for "birthing" you as a blogger. However, I am glad that you blog regularly.

[BTW. "'rent" is my generation's shorthand for "parent"]

November 30, 2005 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home