Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Willie, Schumer, and Lee

From an article in the New York Observer about Senator Chuck Schumer:

“One good thing for me: All the people who I opposed, who I haven’t talked to, are not there,” he said, leaning forward with a sharp cackle. “Every single incumbent that we targeted is not there—so I breathed a sigh of relief. Some of them would just glare at me. I don’t blame ’em.”

How is one to interpret that? The leader of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee targets some of his colleagues. And he does it in such a way that he is ashamed to face them. He doesn't "blame 'em" for being angry.

When I think of Schumer and his tactics against political opponents and judicial nominees, I am reminded of Lee Atwater. To this day, I believe that the furlough of Willie Horton by Governor Dukakis was a legitimate political issue. However, Atwater apparently did not. So he apologized to Dukakis and others when he was dying from a brain tumor.

Everyone who is in politics should keep a list of people to whom they would apologize if they were dying. And then they should apologize even though they are not dying. Going forward, they should stop doing stuff that would require an apology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home