Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dole, Shalala, and You

Not much time to write, but I want to say something about the Walter Reed situation.

As I understand it, these are patients who are healthy enough to be released from the hospital, but not quite ready to be discharged since they need continuing outpatient care. I also believe that in previous wars, such patients would be sent to the VA system much quicker.

My initial take is that the complaints in the Washington Post story (follow up here) fall into three categories: genuinelyterrible conditions, misunderstanding of the military, and legitimate practices that ought to continue. For example, I wonder if the requirement that higher ranking patients supervise the lower ranking ones is a strategy to speed the recovery of the former. Give them something to do, and all that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home