Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Problems, Solutions, and Gripes

Over at Minnesota Democrats Exposed, there was a challenge issued in a comment to one of the posts. In order to prove that conservatives who objected to the proposed restroom access act do not lack compassion, MNObserver was going to match any donations to the Crohn's and Colitis Federation of America.

All well and good. To review, the proposed law would require private businesses to open up their restrooms to people with certain illnesses (like Crohn's), even if the restrooms were for employees only. Some conservatives objected, saying that the law was an unnecessary intrusion on property rights, and that you can't legislate compassion and decency.

In response to the dare/challenge, I wrote this:
MNObserver:

Does the CCFA lobby for things such as the legislation we are talking about here?

I think that people will object to being dared/shamed into donating just as much as they object to government mandating it.

Comment by Peter S. — March 1, 2007 @ 10:13 pm

I think this is a reasonable question, given the controversy over the legislation. In general, people should check out the charities to which they are contributing. But MNObserver did not respond. She waited until the donation time had expired and then wrote this attack on my compassion:

There were some responses, though, so I don’t think we can assume they missed the challenge. There was Peter Swan showing his compassion in the comments insisting that he objected to being shamed into doing the right thing.

I don't know MNObserver, but I do have some friendly advice. You have left yourself open to charges that you are more interested in the issue than the solution. By posting it only in the comment section of MDE (and on a leftist blog) and by not responding to some legitimate questions, it almost looks like you wanted no one to contribute so you could confirm your accusation against conservatives. If you really want to help find a cure/treatment, work with conservatives rather than setting them up.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Derek Jensen said...

A question and a comment:

1. Who is this "conservative" about whom I keep hearing you talk?

2. Her tactic was a classic leftist smear which they teach so well in the nationa's journalism schools.

March 14, 2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger MNObserver said...

Oh, I missed this one! Actually, in private emails, Mr. Brodkorb assured me that my dollars would be matched very quickly.

He was, of course, flat-out wrong. The stinginess of the right - those who insisted that they really weren't making fun of sick people - was pretty obvious.

And where else should I have made the challenge? I don't have posting privileges at MDE (where the nastiest "poopy pants syndrome" comments, your included, were made), so I had to put it in the comments. I did post something at a left-leaning blog because that's where I post. I do notice that you didn't let me say anything *here* about it. I would have taken you up on it.

And as far as your question about whether the CCFA had been lobbying for the legislation, you apparently are so caught up in slamming the left on cue that you didn't even read the very article you scanned for this post:
http://swanblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/men-women-and-family-here-is-actual.html

If you had exercised the curiosity and reading comprehension of the junior high mentality you proudly display, you would have seen in Ms. Stassen-Berger's article that indeed the Executive Director of CCFA was urging the passage of the legislation.

Finally, given that the donation will go to help those who suffer from the disease, I think that the charge of "more interested in the issue than the solution" is best leveled at yourself.

Cheers, MNO.

April 24, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

MN Observer:

I don't want my charity dollars going for lobbying, particularly legislation that I believe to be wrongheaded.

Your MO (MNO's MO?) appears to be thus:

insult, insult, insult, "hey, let's work together for charity/lobbying," insult, insult, insult.

I respectfully decline.

April 25, 2007 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home