Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Banners, Bongs, and Books

The Supreme Court has now ruled in the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case. I have no legal insights, just a couple memories from my youth.

There was one guy in my high school (now a lawyer) who wore a shirt that proclaimed, "Fighting for Peace is Like F----g for Virginity" (expletive deleted). I am not sure if any teacher/administrator noticed, let alone disciplined him for it.

My other memory is of a sit-in we held on my senior year. Hopkins High School was designed like a shopping mall (originally nicknamed "Ridgedale II") without escalators. We staged the sit-in in the common "mall" area - an odd choice given that we weren't disrupting anything. My silent protest was to wear a headband with the principal's name on it (in 1986, an obvious homage to quarterback Jim McMahon). What were we protesting? The principal cancelled our Valentines/Winter Games festivities because of a tennis ball and chewing tobacco tin fight in the mall area on the previous day. What can I say? We had a weird school.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Did they reinstate the Valentines/Winter Games?

June 27, 2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger Mahan said...

Oh, I don't know; I always envisioned the first example as a sort of Pax Romanum a la Josephus; "They make a desert and call it peace." If you're going to fight to make peace, that's the way to do it.

Why sign treaties when you can sow the ruins with salt? Delenda Cartago est.

June 27, 2007 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home